Thursday, March 16, 2006

Semester Project: Take One

Our semester projects have to be started soon, so I'm getting some ideas together. I'm going to be publishing my drafts here, starting today, and continuing as I work on them. These are very very rough drafts, which isn't to say that they aren't funny, or even good, but with a lot of it, I'm just throwing a bunch of ideas on a page to see what sticks. The final paper will be much better than these, so don't rush to judgement, though I would like comments on what does and more importantly, what doesn't work.

First part of the first draft:

A Film Proposal based on the Life of One Me:

Hello movie moguls and executive producers, I am an up and coming young screenwriter. This, is my life:

The film I’m about to propose is one telling the story of me. It’s a story that frankly, needs to be told. It contains all of the elements of life that you’d see in any normal Hollywood biopic, only they all really happened. Every part of this story is completely true, every kiss, every death, every lottery winning; it all actually happened. Sadly, most, if not all, of the witnesses are dead, and certainly all of the evidence is shredded, but take my word, it’s true.

The opening scene of my film will begin with my birth, where my mother, Mary, and my father, Joseph, attempt to get into a hotel, which is overbooked. Turned away from the hotel, they have to go stay in their Ranger. This is where I am birthed. Also, this adds a subtext to the film, referencing my birth to be much like that of Jesus Christ, leader of the Christian faith. Which it was. Because this actually happened. The scene would end, after I am born in the Ranger, but the camera won’t focus on me at the end. There will be a flash in the dark, some movement. The camera will pan up, zoom in, and the audience will see a dark figure in a trench coat and hat, moving silently in the night. He will turn and run. Audience members should note his appearance, it’s foreshadowing, he will return and be a prominent figure later on.

After my birth, the film will transition to my childhood, around the age of five. This is the age at which I started my first business: lemonade. I opened my first lemonade factory at the age of 4 and three-fourths years old. I sold lemonade to most of the children in the greater Los Angeles area. I lived in, and was based in Anchorage, Alaska, but for some reason, my lemonade was popular in L.A. Following a brief montage of my climb to inter-state lemonade industry domination (using charts, graphs, and images from wall street floating behind film of me on my cellphone in large office buildings), the film will show my fall from greatness. There will be a scene where my father, Joseph, yells at me for becoming too full of myself, for letting the lemonade industry effect my life too much. He tells me that my head is full of dreams, that I’m up in the clouds while he’s down here on earth working hard to keep clothes on our backs and food on our table. He tells me that he wants me to be a carpenter, like him, not a silly CEO of a fortune 500 lemonade stand. He tells me that the powder is making me crazy, that I’ve got to lay off the stuff, that he’s worried about me: my grades are dropping, I don’t have any friends, and that I need to just stop. He gives me a hug, but I push him away, and at a pivotal moment of drama and excitement, commonly referred to as the climax, I tell him that I know he’s not my real father. He looks at me, stunned, and turns and runs away. I do the same. I run away from my house at the age of four and three-fourths. That’s how my life began. I should note that this will be the fifteen minute mark of the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home