Thursday, February 09, 2006

Number Two

Deleted Excerpt from President John Fitzgerald Kennedy’s Address at Rice University on the Space Effort, September 12, 1962


…At this point, you must be asking yourselves: why? What is the purpose of a mission to the moon? What is the purpose of all of this expenditure, where will it lead us, but perhaps even more, where did this idea: the idea of space travel in our time, come from?

I tell you now, without hubris, without ego, that I, your President, came up with this idea. The inspiration for this mission came to me like a dream. I was watching the television on one cloudy day, Jackie was playing with the kids and I had decided to take a break, and then, like a chorus from God, came the words: “Meet George Jetson”.

From that point on, I was introduced to The Future. I tell you great things will come; the possibilities of man are immense, and the opportunities numerous. Imagine if you will, a world with flying cars, robot maids, and dogs that can sort of talk. This is the world that I have been shown.

This is a world with a booming economy; a world where even a meager sprocket-factory worker only has to open the door to his house, and from there can be automatically transported to his television-viewing chair. Where a boy can be a computer genius, and a housewife only has to ask her maid to fabricate the dinner for the night.

This world of the future is impressive. This world of the future is scary. But this world of the future is attainable, and with our first steps on the moon, we inch a little bit closer.

I ask you to join me in this journey. Join me on the road to a future with flying cars and Spacley Sprockets. Join me on the road to a world with automatic showers, and floating televisions. I ask you to join me on this road today, and into tomorrow…

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

That was ace.

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home